KB Home, a Fortune 1000 NYSE company and one of America's premier homebuilders, has an immediate employment opportunity available. The Company operates in 10 states across the nation from California to Florida.
KB Home is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilding companies in the United States. Since its founding in 1957, the company has built more than half a million quality homes. KB Home's unique homebuilding approach lets each buyer customize their new home from lot location to floor plan and design features. As a leader in utilizing state-of-the-art sustainable building practices, all KB homes are highly energy efficient and meet strict ENERGY STAR® guidelines. This helps to lower monthly utility costs for homeowners, which the company demonstrates with its proprietary KB Home Energy Performance Guide® (EPG®). KB Home has been named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award winner for five straight years and a WaterSense© Partner of the Year for four consecutive years.
JOB SUMMARY: This position will be responsible for working with internal and external partners to implement all new plans which will include ensuring code compliance, municipality compliance and division spec level compiance. The Plans Manager will work closely with the Purchasing and Architecture Department to value engineer plans in order to reduce costs and increase profitably. Will provide daily input and direction to the construction team to help overcome structural and building related issues, and ensure the correct usage of materials out in the field.
Describe the duty/responsibility
• Work with the Purchasing Manager to help support new product needs and determine what type of new options or products work most efficiently with our plans.
• Work with the Director of Purchasing and Purchasing Manager to reduce directs through value engineering of products.
• Train the field operations on correct building methodologies to avoid excess costs due to inefficient use of building materials.
• Subject matter expert for all community plan and spec level lists, city requirements and code data compliance. Manage and oversee municipality specific requirements and guidelines.
• Manage the Plans Library by checking plans for errors and omissions.
• Liaison between Architecture and the Division. Manage and carryout all plan revisions.
• Division point person regarding plan designs, new options and value engineering.
• Oversee new plans rollout process including: creating and updating the weekly tracker, attending frame walks, personally redlining plans and submitting final plans to Architecture.
• Communicate and train on plan changes to all appropriate internal departments. Ensure the rollout is accurate and review the changes against new starts and homes under production backlog.
• Work closely with Marketing to update marketing materials/brochures.
• Upload plans in the appropriate Purchasing system and act as the owner of the data/system.
Compliance with Plan Specifications
• Analyze engineering documents: windstorm, city mastering, shearwall, and all other community/municipality specific needs to ensure smooth build process.
• Attend frame walks to confirm compliance with building codes and plan specifications.
• Participate in Architecture and Plan Review Meetings with Construction and Studio.
• Oversee Model Home Complex and Sales Office design and submittals (liaison between Architecture & Division).
• Visit communities and provide solutions to field issues with feedback from architecture, internal departments, and external consultants and trade partners.
Relationship Building and Staff Supervision
- Purchasing (daily): communicate work progress and any outstanding issues
- Studio (daily): communicate work progress and any outstanding issues with new and active communities
- Construction (daily): provide support for all issues relating to new plans, take-offs, and subcontractor’s contracts
- Architecture (weekly): communicate issues and drive completion of outstanding plan changes
- Subcontractors/Trade Partners (as needed): provide support regarding questions or concerns with new plans
- Government Municipalities (as needed): provide relevant information regarding new plan designs when needed
• High School Education required
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred in Architecture, Construction Management, Business Management or other relevant discipline
• 3-6 years of Architectural experience required, preferably in the residential homebuilding industry
• 3-6 years of Construction product & process knowledge required, preferably in the residential homebuilding industry
• 3-6 years of Purchasing, Contracting and/or Estimating required, preferably in the residential homebuilding industry
• Prior experience managing direct reports a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of IRC, IECC and NEC building codes.
• Existing relationship with local municipalities
• Self-motivated and able to work in a collectively responsible team environment.
• Ability to stay organized and manages priorities in an efficient manner.
• Proficient in using MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, AS/400 experience preferred.
• Exceptional communication skills necessary, both written and verbal; detail oriented with good follow-up and follow-thru skills.
• AutoCAD experience is a plus
• Good people and problem solving skills required
- 10-15% local travel to communities and city permitting offices
- Conduct business in a professional and ethical manner to reinforce goodwill and profitability for the company.
Find out why KB Home is attracting and retaining the best employees! If you are interested and qualified, please apply now. KB Home provides above average compensation packages and earnings potential, full benefits, an outstanding 401K matching program, bonus plans and amazing promotional opportunities. KB Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse work team. Diversity is important to KB Home!